Amerisleep is one of the biggest players in the mattress industry. Their AS line of memory foam mattresses are especially popular. These beds offer high-quality foam combined with innovative modern technologies which greatly enhance the sleeping experience. Below, we will help you choose between two models from the line that fall in a similar price range, Amerisleep AS3 vs AS4.
Continue reading below if you want to find out more about:
- The common features shared between Amerisleep AS3 vs AS4.
- The construction differences between Amerisleep AS3 and AS4.
- Which memory foam mattress that provides the best support.
- Which memory foam mattress that has less motion transfer.
- Which model that is generally better for the money.
Similarities between Amerisleep AS3 vs AS4
Since Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 come from the same product line, it is not surprising that they share some similarities. Let’s first see the similar features of the two mattresses so that you can know what things that you won’t miss by choosing either model. See also: Tempurpedic vs Amerisleep.
First of all, Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 use the same cover. In fact, the same cover is used across the entire AS range. The cover is made from a soft blend of polyester, spandex, and Celliant. The cover is really stretchy and durable. It can snap back into place very quickly and easily. In addition, the Celliant material also promotes cooling and soothes tired muscles.
Second, both Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 use the same type of memory foam. It is special open-cell memory foam, which is the typical of the brand. The open-cell design promotes a pleasant cooling effect. So, unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 don’t get extremely hot.
Third, each of the two mattresses has a 7-inch base. The base is made of high-density poly foam. The base provides a firm foundation and excellent deep compression support for the sleeper. Of course, the solid base also functions to maintain the mattress’s shape and as well as the overall durability of the structure.
One thing that you need to know is that, across the Amerisleep AS line, the softness increases by the number. So, Amerisleep AS3 is supposed to be less soft than Amerisleep AS4. This is mainly because of their different construction layers.
Amerisleep AS3 has a total thickness of 12 inches. It has three layers. You can read the detailed specifications from Amerisleep here.
– The first layer is the comfort layer. It is 3 inches thick, and it is made up of memory foam. It is quite cushy. You will enjoy the slight contouring as you lie on the bed. Of course, it is quite breathable, as it uses open-cell memory foam.
– The second layer is the affinity layer. It is 2 inches thick, and is made of poly foam. It has been manipulated in a wavy pattern to provide smooth transition from the soft top to the solid base. It also gives a nice bounce.
– The third layer is the 7-inch-thick high-density poly base described above.
On the other hand, Amerisleep AS4 also has a total thickness of 12 inches and three layers. But the designs are different.
– The first layer is the comfort layer. It is 4 inches thick. The extra thickness makes it slower to react to a change in body position. However, it is softer and provides more contouring. It also stays cool throughout the night.
– The second layer is the affinity layer. It is only 1 inch thick. Hence, it is not as firm as the AS3. It also doesn’t give as much deep compression support, so a heavy sleeper will push the mattress deeper and feel the solid base.
– The third layer is the same 7-inch-thick high-density poly base.
Amerisleep AS3 vs AS4 uses the same cover. It is made from a blend of polyester, spandex, and Celliant. It is soft and very comfortable. It does not irritate the skin, so you can enjoy sleeping on it without any discomfort. Also, the use of Celliant is a great decision. This material makes the cover cool and breathable, able to soothe tired muscles. After a long hectic day, you will love sleeping on this cover.
Support and Feel
Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 have different support and feel. Amerisleep AS3 is suitable for most people, as it has decent support. It is neither too soft nor too firm. The cushioning is just right. The mattress is soft enough to give good contouring and relieve pressure points, with just slight sinkage. It can react more quickly to changes in body position.
On the other hand, Amerisleep AS4 is not for all people. It is more of a specialized mattress for light sleepers who prefer a soft sleeping surface. The lush four-inch memory foam on the top gives a traditional cloud feel with luxurious sinkage. The thick comfort layer is especially great for side sleepers, as you will get enhanced contouring and pressure relief.
However, Amerisleep AS4 is not suitable for heavy sleepers. The transition layer is thinner here, so a heavy sleeper will probably hit the base and experience discomfort.
In general, both Amerisleep AS3 and Amerisleep AS4 have low motion transfer. So, they are good for couples. However, Amerisleep AS4 is a little better in this regard. The thicker memory foam layer is able to absorb and attenuate movements better.
If you are sleeping alone, you don’t need to worry about motion transfer. However, for couples, getting a mattress with low motion transfer is important. You don’t want to wake up your partner by your turning in the middle of the night.
Amerisleep AS3 vs AS4
|Amerisleep AS3||Amerisleep AS4|
|- 3” memory foam layer, 2” transition layer, 7” high-density base||- 4” memory foam layer, 1” transition layer, 7” high-density base|
|- Decent support with minimal sinkage||- Softer, less support, significantly more sinkage|
|- Quicker to react||- Slower to react|
|- Low motion transfer||- Lower motion transfer|
|- Suitable for most sleepers and heavy sleepers||- Great for side sleepers and couples|
Most people will feel more comfortable with Amerisleep AS3. This mattress provides decent support, with just enough contouring and sinkage for comfort and pressure relief. It is neither too soft nor too firm. It is also more suitable for heavy sleepers. On the other hand, Amerisleep AS4 is only suitable for side sleepers and perhaps couples who need reduced motion transfer.