These two brands are now very popular for different reasons. Tempurpedic is known as the first company to produce consumer-grade memory foam mattresses. The products are trusted for their quality. On the other hand, the Purple mattress comes up as an affordable and budget-friendly option. Continue reading below for the detailed comparisons between Tempurpedic vs Purple mattresses!
In this article, we will discuss about:
- The available models of Tempurpedic and Purple mattresses
- The construction and materials used on each mattress
- The features and overall characters of each mattress
- The firmness of Tempurpedic vs Purple mattresses
- Whether the mattresses have low motion transfer or not
- Whether the mattresses have good heat dissipation or not
- The warranty timeframe for each mattress
- Which model that is generally more recommended
Tempurpedic is now one of the biggest leaders in the mattress industry. The company has done an excellent job in maintaining a top spot in the market, as they have been around for several decades. They are known as a luxury mattress brand that offers the classic memory foam feel. In fact, Tempurpedic was the first company to introduce memory foam mattresses to the consumer market.
There are now several different lines of Tempurpedic. In general, they are expensive and luxurious. Although these high-end mattresses are made for all types of sleepers, they are especially suitable for people who need enhanced contouring and pressure relief. They mostly have significant sinkage, sharp and precise contouring, good pressure relief, slow response, and low motion transfer. All mattresses are made in the United States.
Tempurpedic is known as a luxury mattress brand that offers the classic memory foam feel. There are three major lines: Cloud, Flex, Contour.
There are three major lines of Tempurpedic mattresses, which are Cloud, Flex, and Contour. You may choose to add the optional Breeze cover to the model that you choose. This cover adds an extra cost, but it is useful for improving the cooling.
- Tempurpedic Cloud offers mattresses with firmness levels from soft to medium. Although they have slight variations in firmness, they have similar contouring and hugdynamic. They are the softest among all Tempurpedic mattresses, as they provide very pronounced contouring. They have slower response time, yet with balanced sinkage and great support.
- Tempurpedic Flex is a line of hybrid mattresses. They use memory foam, poly foam, and pocketed coils. The combination brings a balanced feel with quicker response, more bounce, and enhanced cooling. They also have decent deep compression support. The mattresses have firmness levels from medium to medium-firm.
- Tempurpedic Contour have good pressure relief with moderate contouring and depthofhug. The support is great. The firmness levels vary from medium-firm to very firm. The mattress notably presses back to the sleeper’s body to prevent excessive sinkage. Heavy sleepers will find that the enhanced support is very useful; it supports the back and hips properly. However, these mattresses are less comfortable for side sleepers. (Read also : Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations)
On the other hand, Purple Mattress is one of the most well-known brands in the bed-in-a-box market. A bed-in-a-box is a mattress product that is highly compressed, packaged into a portable box for easy distribution and carrying. These mattresses are often cheap and affordable because of the lower distribution costs. Many of the companies sell their products online; the direct to-consumer marketing also allows for a lower expense and helps to keep the mattress price low.
Purple Mattress is affordable because of the lower distribution cost. It uses a hyper-elastic polymer material to compose the comfort layer.
The Purple Mattress company was started in the early 1990s by two engineering brothers, Tony Pearce and Terry Pearce. At first, they produced a comfort material called Floam, which was used for cushioning wheelchairs and medical equipment. Afterwards, they started to produce mattresses with hyper-elastic polymer. They conducted “the raw egg test” to showcase the mattress’s superior ability in pressure relief. Since then, Purple Mattress has become one of the fastest growing companies in the industry.
Purple Mattress is unique, different from the other mattresses because it uses a hyper-elastic polymer material to compose the comfort layer. This is a very interesting material. It provides unique qualities to the firmness, support, and contouring. Nevertheless, there is just one model of Purple Mattress – which is good in a way, as you won’t have to confuse yourself with multiple different models with different features.
In this section, we will see the detailed construction of Tempurpedic vs Purple Mattress. They have different thickness profiles, layers, and materials. These differences cause them to have very different characters.
Let’s take a look at the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze mattress. This is the flagship model of the brand, as it offers the classic, traditional feel of memory foam and is suitable for all types of sleepers. It has a total thickness of 11.5 inches, and consists of four different foam layers.
- The comfort layer on the top is 2-inch It is made from visco elastic memory foam. This layer is responsible for providing the initial softness, contouring, and hug. However, the response to pressure is quite slow. The gradual contouring feels very nice. Unfortunately, memory foam tends to keep heat around the sleeper’s body. To counter the potential heat issue, the cover has been designed to improve the heat dissipation.
- The second layer is 2-inch It is made from slightly denser and firmer visco elastic memory foam. This layer is responsible for providing the contouring and pressure relief. It also has gradual contouring due to its slow response. The slightly firmer character allows a smooth and even transition into the lower layers.
- The third layer is 4-inch It is made from poly foam. It is considerably firmer than the previous two layers. It is responsible for the transitional support, which is needed to ease the sleeper’s body before reaching the dense, firm base.
- The basecore is 5-inch thick, and is made from poly foam. This is the densest and firmest layer in the mattress. As the base, it is responsible for providing deep compression support. It is ensures the mattress’s structural integrity and durability.
- The cover is made from a blend of 94% polyester and 6% spandex.The cover is very soft, stretchy, and breathable. The stretchiness allows the cover to snap back into place after getting compressed, so it looks neat and tidy all the time. The top surface is white with a nice diamond pattern, whereas the sides are gray. A blue line separates the white from the gray areas. With this color scheme, it looks very modern and stylish.
As mentioned above, the Purple Mattress only has a single model. It has a total thickness of 9.5 inches. In other words, it is relatively thinner than the previously discussed Tempurpedic mattress.Also, it only has three different layers of foam. Note that this model does not use memory foam.
- The comfort layer is 2-inch It is the layer that is made from hyper-elastic polymer. Unlike memory foam, this material responds very quickly to pressure. It has some bounce, which enables you to change your body position without difficulties. It has been optimized to provide the best contouring and pressure relief to the sleeper’s body.
- The Purple Smart Grid Design shapes the layer into a sponge-like structure. Each grid is hollow in the middle. The grid structure allows enhanced weight distribution and pressure relief; each column is supportive until a weight threshold is reached. Once the threshold is reached, the column will sink in to provide contouring and pressure relief. This formation also creates air pockets. The gaps in the grids allow air to circulate and take heat away from around the sleeper.
- The middle layer is 5-inch thick. It is made from poly foam with a density of 1.8 lbs. It works primarily to provide a smooth transitional support to the sleeper. It eases the sleeper’s body from the soft comfort layer to the firm base. It also provides some compression support for a heavy sleeper.
- The base core is 4-inch It is made from poly foam with a density of 2.0 lbs. It is denser and firmer than the middle layer. It provides deep compression support, which is needed by a heavy sleeper. As the foundation of the mattress, this layer is responsible for the structural integrity and durability of the mattress.
- The cover is made from a blend of 69% polyester, 27% viscose, and 4% polyester lycra. The cover is nicely breathable and feels cool. It doesn’t keep heat very much. In addition, it is quite stretchy, so it can also snap back into place after being tugged or pulled. It has a pattern which somewhat helps the all-white color so that it does not appear too plain.
Firmness and Support
In general, both Tempurpedic vs Purple Mattress have medium firmness and decent support. They both can support your back and hips properly to prevent stiffness or pain. However, they have different features and characteristics.
The Tempurpedic mattress is relatively softer compared to the Purple Mattress. Most people agree that it has a soft-medium firmness level.
The Tempurpedic mattress is relatively softer compared to the Purple Mattress. Most people agree that it has a soft-medium firmness level. When you lie on the bed, the comfort layer does not immediately give in. The contouring is gradual yet very precise. However, if your body is particularly heavy, you may feel the mattress is closer to the typical medium firmness level. This is because of the dense, firm bottom layers.
The Tempurpedic mattress has excellent support. The comfort layers work together to align the spine and hips. In addition, the dense, firm bottom layers provide very good support to sleepers who are heavy enough to press into the mattress. This mattress is very comfortable for back sleepers and side sleepers. However, if you sleep on your stomach, you may find that the mattress isn’t firm and supportive enough to prevent an awkward body position.
The Purple Mattress is somewhere between medium to medium-firm. This is because of the unique character of the comfort layer.
The Purple Mattress is relatively firmer. Most people agree that the firmness level is somewhere around medium to medium-firm. This is because of the unique character of the comfort layer. If the pressure isn’t high enough, the grids remain standing and supportive. This enables the comfort layer to support the lighter body parts properly. However, the grids will give in on the area that is exposed to heavier pressure.
The firmness allows the Purple Mattress to provide good support. The mattress supports the lighter body parts properly; they don’t sink in very much. It also supports the back and hips nicely. You can feel that the polymer somewhat pushes back to support your back. If you sleep on your stomach, you will also find that the mattress supports the stomach area properly. This mattress is suitable for back sleepers, side sleepers, and stomach sleepers due to the decent firmness and support.
Contouring and Motion Isolation
Tempurpedic vs Purple Mattress are very different in this aspect. Tempurpedic generally provides more contouring and sinkage. Although the response is rather slow, it allows your body to sink quite deeply into the mattress. This is a very nice feature if you love a mattress that ‘hugs’ you. The pronounced contouring allows very good pressure relief and comfort.
Tempurpedic provides more contouring and sinkage. Although the response is slow, it allows your body to sink deep into the mattress.
Tempurpedic has great motion isolation. Memory foam naturally absorbs vibrations, so movements don’t get transferred across the mattress. However, this also means that the mattress is not bouncy at all. It is sometimes difficult to get up from the bed, as your body feels ‘trapped’ inside the mattress.The low motion transfer makes the mattress suitable for couples. Movements on one side of the bed will not disturb the other side.
On the other hand, the Purple Mattress also provides some contouring and sinkage, but not as much as the Tempurpedic mattress. The Purple Mattress notably gives in and contours the body parts that need them the most, such as the back, hips, and elbows. This allows for good pressure relief. However, the lighter body parts do not sink into the mattress. So, this mattress is great if you need pressure relief but don’t like to feel trapped inside the mattress.
Purple Mattress provides some contouring and sinkage. It notably gives in and contours the body parts that need them the most.
The Purple Mattress is somewhat bouncy. This allows you to change your body position and to get up from the bed easily. However, the bounciness of the comfort layer also allows some more motion transfer. The motion isolation is not bad, but movements on one side of the bed are somewhat noticeable on the other side.
Trial and Warranty
Both Tempurpedic and Purple Mattress provide a 10-year warranty for each mattress. This is good. You may claim for a replacement if you find any defect in the materials or craftsmanship while still in the warranty period.
However, Tempurpedic only provides a trial period of 30 nights. It may be too short for some people to see whether the mattress is really comfortable or not. If you find that the mattress isn’t comfortable enough while still in the trial period, you may swap for another model. Purple Mattress provides a trial period of 100 nights, which is great. You have plenty of time to really see whether the mattress suits you or not.
Tempurpedic vs Purple
|- Thickness is 11.5 inches, four layers||- Thickness is 9.5 inches, three layers|
|- Tends to be hot, but the optional Breeze cover improves cooling||- Good breathability and heat dissipation|
|- Soft-medium firmness with gradual contouring||- Medium firmness with quick response|
|- Not bouncy, great motion isolation||- Somewhat bouncy, pretty good motion isolation|
|- 10-year warranty, 30 nights of trial period||- 10-year warranty, 100 nights of trial period|
You may choose the Tempurpedic mattress if you are ready to spend a significant amount of money for a luxury memory foam mattress. The mattress is suitable if you like gradual contouring and sinkage. The pressure relief is great. However, Purple Mattress can give a great value for the money. It is affordable and cost-efficient. It is great if you don’t like to feel trapped in a mattress. It has good support and some bounce.