Tempurpedic has become one of the biggest players in the mattress industry. This brand focuses on luxury memory foam mattresses. On the other hand, Sleep Innovations is also a brand of memory foam mattresses, but it is known for producing more affordable models. So, which one is actually better? Read the detailed comparisons between Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations below!
In this article, we will discuss further about:
- The overview and mattress models of each brand
- The construction of Tempurpedic and Sleep Innovations mattresses
- Whether these memory foam mattresses are comfortable or not
- Whether these memory foam mattresses sleep cool or not
- The shipping, trial, warranty of Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations
- Which mattress brand that is generally more recommended
- 1 Tempurpedic: Brand Overview
- 2 Tempurpedic: Construction
- 3 Tempurpedic: Comfort and Support
- 4 Tempurpedic: Heat Dissipation
- 5 Tempurpedic: Shipping, Trial, and Warranty
- 6 Sleep Innovations: Brand Overview
- 7 Sleep Innovations: Construction
- 8 Sleep Innovations: Comfort and Support
- 9 Sleep Innovations: Heat Dissipation
- 10 Sleep Innovations: Shipping, Trial, and Warranty
- 11 Conclusion
Tempurpedic: Brand Overview
Tempurpedic has been around for several decades. It is now one of the biggest players in the industry. It produces several luxury mattress models which offer a classic memory foam feel. Over the years, it has done an excellent job in maintaining its position on the top spot of the market segment.
Tempurpedic mattresses have significant sinkage, sharp contouring, good pressure relief, slow response, and very low motion transfer.
Virtually all of Tempurpedic mattresses are either expensive or luxurious. Tempurpedic mattresses are said to be suitable for all types of sleepers, but certain models have more pronounced styles and feels. In general, Tempurpedic mattresses have significant sinkage, sharp contouring, good pressure relief, slow response, and very low motion transfer.
Tempurpedic has several different lines. However, we will focus on the three primary lines, which are Cloud, Contour, and Flex.
- Tempurpedic Cloud line provides mattresses whose firmness range from very soft to medium. However, the contouring and hug feel are similar across the models. The balanced sinkage may be a bit too much for stomach sleepers. The mattresses in this line may come with the Breeze cover or without. Although this feature adds to the cost of the mattress, it notably improves the cooling performance.
- Tempurpedic Contour line provides mattresses whose firmness range from medium-firm to firm. The mattresses in this line provide very good pressure relief and moderate contouring and hug. However, you can feel that the firmness presses back. This prevents excessive sinkage. Hence, it is a suitable choice for stomach sleepers as well as back sleepers. It may also come with the Breeze cover or without.
- Tempurpedic Flex line is quite different from the rest because it has a hybrid design. It has layers of poly foam and memory foam on the pocketed coils. This hybrid design allows for a balanced feel with enhanced response, support, bounce, and cooling. The mattresses range in firmness from medium to medium-firm. It may also come with the Breeze cover or without.
In order to compare Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations, we take the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme mattress to see the construction. This model is quite close to Sleep Innovations that it is a memory foam mattress.
Cloud Supreme consists of several layers arranged according to the softness levels and materials, to allow a smooth transition.
Just like the other Tempurpedic mattresses, Cloud Supreme consists of several layers that are arranged according to the softness levels and materials. This is to allow a smooth transition from the soft, contouring top layer to the firm, supportive base. Technically, you are getting four inches of the patented TEMPUR-ES foam and seven inches of base foam, plus a highly stretchy cover with excellent moisture-wicking threads.
The first two layers are plush comfort layers, each is two-inch thick. They are made from the super soft TEMPER-ES foam which has 4.1 lbs/cu.ft. density. The combination of these two layers is supposed to be highly responsive to adapt to your weight and body curves. They also act as a cushioning response layer.
The following two inches make the support layer which helps to cradle your body and cradle your weight outwards. As the effect, instead of getting drowned into the foam, you will feel a floating feel, the ‘sleep on the cloud’ feel often bragged by the mattress.
Although high-density foam support core usually costs more, it is also more durable and supportive. It can provide better deep compression support, which is needed by heavier sleepers. Unfortunately, Tempurpedic does not share much information about the support core, so we can’t tell for sure about the density. However, several tests have shown that the base is quite firm and supportive. The deep compression support is pretty good.
However, since the density of the foam on the upper layer is only 4.1 lbs/cu.ft., some people wonder whether the mattress is really durable or not. This density rating is not bad, but there are mattresses with higher density levels that are possibly more durable.
Tempurpedic: Comfort and Support
Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme is an excellent choice for side sleepers due to the superior sinkage, contouring, and pressure relief. When you sleep on your side, your body creates more pressure points. There are parts of your body that press deeper into the mattress, such as the elbow and hips. The mattress needs to accommodate those pressure points, otherwise you will wake up with sore muscles and joints. Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme does that very well.
Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme is excellent for side sleepers. It has superior sinkage, contouring, and pressure relief.
The soft surface on the top allows a cradle to contour and support the heavier parts of the body. It also ensures spinal support and health. The motion transfer is incredibly reduced. Hence, Tempurpedic is a nice choice if you want to sleep with a partner. The super low motion transfer ensures that you and your partner will not disturb each other’s sleep due to movements.
Positive reviews mostly praise the weightless feel and enveloping sinkage. When you lie on the bed, you will enjoy a floating feel created by the sophisticated construction. It feels very comfortable while still being supportive. Perhaps the downside is that Tempurpedic does not have a very good deep compression support. It is quite supportive, but a particularly heavy sleeper will sink deep into the mattress. Heavy sleepers should choose firmer mattresses.
Take a look : Sleep Number i8 vs i10.
Tempurpedic: Heat Dissipation
If there is a bad thing about Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations, it is probably the heat retention. The mattresses have received quite a lot of complaints regarding the heat retention. Even with the built-in Smart Climate system and moisture-wicking threads in the cover, the mattress still feels quite hot.
A heavy sleeper should also be careful before purchasing a Tempurpedic mattress. The soft foam will make the sleeper’s body sink deeper, and deep sinkage will trap more heat. In other words, a heavy sleeper will feel more heat than a light sleeper.
So, if you often feel hot when sleeping, and you hate the heat, you must consider getting the Breeze cover. The Breeze cover helps to a degree in the cooling performance. With the Breeze cover, the mattress does not retain very much heat and is more breathable.
Tempurpedic: Shipping, Trial, and Warranty
After purchasing a Tempurpedic mattress, you can wait for about 5 – 7 days until it arrives. The company uses a white-glove delivery service to ship their mattresses. Every Tempurpedic mattress has a 90-day trial period, during which you can exchange the mattress for another model if you are not satisfied.
Every Tempurpedic mattress has a 10-year limited warranty. It covers indentation of ¾” or greater. The warranty period is pretty good, but not impressive. Other manufacturers provide longer warranty periods.
Sleep Innovations: Brand Overview
Sleep Innovations are popular because it is affordable and easy to find.
Sleep Innovations has become quite popular because of its affordability. In addition, it is also easy to find. Its mattresses are mainly sold through Amazon. It also has a sister brand that is sold through Costco. Sleep Innovations produces memory foam mattresses with varying features.
- The Alden mattress features a comfort system on the top. It has a top layer that is made from the SureTemp memory foam and a bottom layer that is made from Air Channel poly foam. It also has a support core from high-density poly foam. The cover is cotton-polyester.
- The Skylar mattress is a gel memory foam mattress. The mattress has Air Channel poly foam layers and a high-density poly foam support core. The quilted cover is a polyester knit, it has open-weave side panels.
- The Taylor mattress is similar to Skylar with gel memory foam on the top, a bottom layer of Air Channel poly foam, and a high-density poly foam. However, the cover is cotton-polyester.
- The Shiloh mattress has a single layer of memory foam and a high-density poly foam support core. The cover is cotton-polyester.
- The Shea mattress is similar to Shiloh, with a high-density poly foam support core and a cover of cotton-polyester. But it has a thinner profile. It has the SureTemp memory foam on the top.
- The Marley mattress uses both gel memory foam and Air Channel poly foam for the comfort system. It also has a quilted cover made from cotton and polyester.
- The Sage mattress consists of a single layer of gel memory foam, and a high-density poly foam support core. The quilted cover is made from cotton and polyester.
Sleep Innovations: Construction
For the comparison of Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations, we take Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch to see the construction. This mattress’s design is considered as a break-through, considering the excellent qualities and affordable price.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh is thicker than Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme; the extra thickness contributes to improved deep compression support.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch is quite thick. It is indeed thicker than Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme. The additional thickness contributes to improved deep compression support. However, the overall feel still depends on the materials used for the layers.
The uppermost layer is 2.5 inches thick. It is made from the Shiloh memory foam. It provides enhanced pressure relief, and it has a sophisticated design that does not trap heat. It has open memory cell which allows air pressure changes. This design pushes high pressure air to areas with low pressure air, so that hot air can be pushed out from the spot.
The second layer is 2.5 inches thick, featuring the 2.5-inch Air Channel foam. This layer has a network of air passageways, which ensure that cool air can be drawn from the edge of the mattress to the areas with high temperature levels, such as the spots under the sleeper’s body. The comfort layer draws cool air from this layer.
The bottom base is 7 inches thick. This support core is made from high-density poly foam to balance comfort, provide support, reduce pressure, and prevent sagging. This layer is quite firm and durable. All the three layers from top to bottom work together to deliver the therapeutic qualities which Sleep Innovations mattresses are known for.
Sleep Innovations: Comfort and Support
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch has a medium firmness. The firmness level is right in the middle. It is still supple enough to accommodate a side sleeper who wants to feel encased in the mattress. It also has good spine support.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh can accommodate side sleepers while being suitable for stomach sleepers and back sleepers.
This mattress is also suitable for stomach sleepers and back sleepers. If you are a stomach sleeper, you will find that Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch provides just enough support for the neck and hip without pushing up too much. Meanwhile, if you are a back sleeper, you will enjoy the balanced support on the neck and lower back. The softness creates a luxurious feel.
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch has excellent motion isolation. The bottom layer which is composed of dense foam effectively eliminates any kind of motion. The elastic polymers in the support foam also help to attenuate vibration. The combination of these materials ensures very low motion transfer. Hence, this mattress is also a great choice for couples. You can get in and get out without waking up your partner on the other side of the bed.
Sleep Innovations: Heat Dissipation
Compared to Tempurpedic, Sleep Innovations feels a little cooler. All thanks to the air passageways in the support layer. The mattress has air channels which allow heat to be released, and hot air to be replaced with cool air from the outside. It does not heat up very much, so it is quite more comfortable. The temperature is relatively stable throughout the night.
However, foam mattresses are never completely free from heat issues. There are still some complaints that say the Sleep Innovations mattress sleeps hot. But, then again, adding a mattress topper that can regulate the temperature can solve the problem if you still experience excessive heat.
Sleep Innovations: Shipping, Trial, and Warranty
Sleep Innovations airs their mattresses before shipping. This is to ensure that their mattresses will not release any smell or volatile gas when unboxed. Sleep Innovations provides a 30-day trial period for each mattress.
Although the trial period is shorter than Tempurpedic, the warranty of Sleep Innovations is notably better. The no-hassle warranty goes for 20 years. It covers all defects in materials, workmanship, and structure. Keep in mind, however, that it only covers indentation of 1.5” or greater. Don’t remove the knit cover or use bleach to clean the mattress, as such actions will void the warranty.
Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations
|- Has a luxurious floating feel||- Typical memory foam feel|
|- Excellent contouring and pressure relief||- Very good contouring and pressure relief|
|- Relatively lower support||- Relatively higher support|
|- Considerable heat retention||- Low heat retention|
|- Generally more expensive||- Generally more affordable|
Between Tempurpedic vs Sleep Innovations, we recommend you to choose Sleep Innovations. This mattress provides a much better value for the money. It has good contouring and pressure relief. It is more comfortable, as it sleeps cooler. And it has a longer warranty period. In general, Sleep Innovations mattresses are more affordable than Tempurpedic.