If you are currently looking for an affordable memory foam mattress, both Casper Mattress and Ikea Mattress are indeed very attractive options. Both brands offer affordable and budget-friendly mattresses online. So, which one is actually better? Below, we will see the detailed comparisons between Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress to help you decide.
Continue reading below to learn further about:
- The available models of Casper and Ikea mattresses
- The layers and materials on Casper and Ikea mattresses
- The cover quality of each mattress
- Whether the mattress is comfortable and pressure-relieving
- Whether the mattress sleeps hot or cool
- Whether the mattress is suitable for a couple
- Which mattress that is generally more recommended for the money
Casper Mattress: Overview
You probably have heard quite a lot about Casper Mattress. The company is known for selling their affordable memory foam mattresses online. They have managed to keep the prices low by utilizing modern technologies, without compromising the mattress quality. Their direct marketing approach has allowed them to cut down unnecessary expenses and make the distribution a lot more efficient and streamlined.
The Casper company actually has three different models, which are Wave, Casper, and Essential. These three mattresses have different thickness levels, layers, and features. However, all of them use memory foam and the company’s own proprietary hybrid foam to provide enhanced contouring, pressure relief, support, and comfort.
- The Essential model has a total thickness of 8.5 inches. It has three different layers with hybrid open-cell foam construction.
- The Casper model has a total thickness of 10 inches. It has four different layers. It has two comfort layers with Zoned Support.
- The Wave model has a total thickness of 11.5 inches. It has five different layers. It has wavy layers with Hyper-Targeted Support.
Below, we will take the Casper model as the basis of our Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress comparison. This is because the Casper model is the most popular mattress of the three. (Read also : Bear Mattress vs Casper Mattress)
Casper Mattress: Construction and Cover
Casper Mattress has a total thickness of 10 inches. It consists of four different layers. The company uses a proprietary foam material on the comfort layer, so some details are not known. However, the comfort layer feels quite similar to latex.
- The first comfort layer has a thickness of 1.5 inches, and is made from proprietary foam. This proprietary material works quite like latex. It provides some bounce to allow easy movement. You can get up from the bed easily without difficulties. The open-cell design ensures good breathability.
- The second comfort layer has a thickness of 1.5 inches, and is made from memory foam. Compared to the first layer, this layer has slower response to pressure. It is designed to provide contouring and pressure relief. The placement under the latex-like material ensures that it won’t cause excessive sinkage or keep heat.
- The transition layer has a thickness of 1.5 inches, and is made from a firm foam It is firmer than the two upper layers. It is designed to provide smooth transition from the comfort layer to the firm base.
- The base core has a thickness of 5.5 inches. It is made from a firm and dense foam It is the firmest layer in the construction. It acts as the mattress’s foundation to provide structural integrity and durability.
Meanwhile, the cover is made from a combination of premium-grade synthetic materials, which are spandex and polyester. These are excellent choices for making a mattress cover. The cover is quite thin, and is highly breathable. It is also quite elastic. It snaps back into place, so it will always look neat and tidy. In addition, the thin and highly pliable cover also allows you to engage with the comfort layer properly.
Casper Mattress: Firmness and Support
Casper Mattress is quite different than a typical memory foam mattress, in a good way. This is because the uppermost layer is not immediately memory foam. The top layer doesn’t have much visco elasticity, but it provides more resistance to pressure. As the effect, it becomes more bouncy and more supportive.
However, when you lie on the bed, you will still get excellent contouring qualities. After some time, the memory foam in the second layer will react to your body and provide contouring. The gradual contouring feels very comfortable. Once the mattress adapts to your body shape, you will find that the body parts with the most pressure have sunk quite deeply.
Casper Mattress boasts about its Zoned Support feature. The unique combinations of foam materials have allowed specific support levels on different parts of the mattress. In general, the center area is more supportive than the rest. This is because the center area is designed to hold most of the sleeper’s body weight.
According to several user reviews, Casper Mattress has a medium-firm firmness level. It is slightly firmer than the typical medium firmness. The top layer is pretty soft while still providing very good support. You will never feel stuck in the mattress. If you are quite heavy, you will sink deeper into the mattress. The deep compression support is good, thanks to the smooth transition layer and durable base core.
Casper Mattress has excellent and consistent edge support, so it is ideal for sleeping with a partner. This is an impressive quality for a foam mattress. It will never put your body in a bad position. Don’t worry about uneven support or falling down from the bed. You can also sit on the edge of the bed comfortably; you will sink into the comfort layer, but the firmer layers underneath provide sufficient support to keep you sitting.
Casper Mattress: Heat Dissipation
When choosing between Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress, one needs to consider about the heat dissipation. This is the ability of a mattress to release heat away instead of keeping it around the sleeper. In order to sleep comfortably, your body needs to remain cool. Heat will cause discomfort and make your sweat.
Casper Mattress has a very good cover that is naturally breathable. In addition, the open-cell design of the comfort layer also ensures good airflow so that your body heat can be pulled away. You will still find that the mattress becomes warmer as you sleep, but there is no excessive hotness.
Casper Mattress: Motion Isolation
If you are sleeping with a partner, you need to make sure that your mattress has good motion isolation. No matter how good your relationship with your partner is, you still don’t want to be woken up in the middle of the night due to your partner’s movement. A mattress with good motion isolation ensures that movements on one side of the bed will not transfer to the other side.
Foam mattresses generally have good motion isolation. They don’t transfer vibrations much. However, Casper Mattress has slightly lower motion isolation than the typical memory foam. This is probably because of the more bouncy top layer. Nevertheless, the difference is not really big. Casper Mattress still does a good job in minimizing slight movements. You will only get woken up if your partner jumps around on the mattress.
Casper Mattress: Trial and Warranty
Casper Mattress has a good trial period, which goes for 100 nights. The trial period is enough for you to get to know the mattress. While still in the trial period, if you find that the mattress is not comfortable enough, you can return the mattress. Casper Mattress provides free shipping to the continental United States and to Canada. The mattress will arrive compressed in a box.
The warranty is pretty good. Casper Mattress is protected by a 10-year warranty. However, some other manufacturers can provide longer warranty timeframes.
Ikea Mattress: Overview
If you are looking for a budget-friendly memory foam mattress, Ikea may be among the first brands that come up in your mind. The company has produced various house-related products that are geared towards budget-conscious consumers. All of the products are backed by good money-back, exchange, and return policies.
Ikea has several different mattress models. They have different materials, layers, and characteristics.
- Ikea Matrand Thickness is 7.125 inches. Available in memory foam and latex versions.
- Ikea Myrbacka Thickness is 9.5 inches. Available in memory foam and latex versions.
- Ikea Minnesund Thickness is 3.875 inches. Simple foam mattress.
- Ikea Morgedal Thickness is 7.125 inches. Simple foam mattress.
- Ikea Jomna Thickness is 5.875 inches. Bonnell spring mattress.
- Ikea Haugesund Thickness is 9.875 inches. Poly foam with pocketed springs.
Below, we will take the Ikea Myrbacka Mattress as the basis of our Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress comparison. Ikea Myrbacka Mattressis the closest model to Casper Matress. It has the closest total thickness, and is available in memory foam and latex versions.
Ikea Mattress: Construction and Cover
Unfortunately, with the Ikea mattress, you can’t have both memory foam and latex. The Ikea MyrbackaMattress is available in two versions, memory foam and latex. You can only choose one.
The memory foam version has a total thickness of 9.5 inches. It has three different layers.
- The uppermost layer is memory foam with a density of 3.1 PCF. This layer has the typical memory foam feel, with gradual contouring, pressure relief, and sinkage.
- The middle layer is poly foam with a density of 2.2 PCF. This layer provides the necessary transition from the comfort layer to the firm base.
- The base core is poly foam with a density of 1.7 PCF. This firm base functions as the foundation of the mattress.
The latex version also has a total thickness of 9.5 inches. However, it only has two layers.
- The top layer is made from synthetic latex. It has fast response to pressure. It provides almost immediate contouring, pressure relief, and sinkage.
- The bottom layer is made from poly foam with a density of 2.2 PCF. It functions as the foundation of the mattress.
The cover is made from a combination of cotton and polyester. It has a conventional look, with a white top and gray side panels. The cover feels soft and comfortable. However, it is quite thick. The thickness allows good durability, but potentially poor heat dissipation. Interestingly, the mattress has handles on the two sides, so moving the mattress will be quite easy.
Ikea Mattress: Firmness and Support
The memory foam version of the Ikea Mattress is really firm. However, it does provide gradual contouring and sinkage. The edge support is good, but this is mostly because the overall firmness of the mattress itself.
Initially, when you lie on the mattress, you will find that your body is flat across the mattress. If you are heavy enough, your body will press a little more deeply into the mattress, but it will still give significant resistance. However, over time, the pressure spots across your body will sink into the mattress for contouring and pressure relief.
Meanwhile, the latex version of the Ikea Mattress is relatively softer compared to the memory foam version. It is a little firmer than the typical medium firmness, almost like the Casper Mattress. However, unlike the Casper Mattress, the latex version does not use memory foam, so the contouring and pressure relief aren’t as good.
The deep compression support is also not good due to the lack of a transition layer. If you are quite heavy, you will sink deep into the mattress and meet the firm base. The edge support is rather poor.
Ikea Mattress: Heat Dissipation
As mentioned above, the Ikea Mattress generally has poor heat dissipation. The mattress uses memory foam on the top layer. Memory foam tends to keep heat around the sleeper. Unless your bedroom has a good air conditioner, there is a good chance that you will sweat a lot throughout your sleep.
Nevertheless, the latex version is cooler than the memory foam version. This is a viable alternative if you don’t want your sleep to be compromised by hotness. Latex does not retain heat as much as memory foam.
Ikea Mattress: Motion Isolation
In general, the Ikea mattress has low to moderate motion transfer. The memory foam version performs very well in this aspect. It does not transfer vibrations very much. At least, if you are sleeping with a partner, it can ensure that your sleep will not be disturbed by your partner’s movements on the other side of the bed.
The latex version of the Ikea Mattress has slightly more motion transfer. The latex layer has good bounce, so you will find that getting up from the bed is quite easy. However, the bouncy nature also means more motion transfer. Slight movements on the other side of the bed are not too bad, but you may notice when your partner is getting up from the bed.
Ikea Mattress: Trial and Warranty
When choosing between Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress, one may be tempted by the Ikea Mattress’s awesome return and warranty policies. Every Ikea product has a full refund within 365 days since the purchase date. So, if you are not satisfied by the mattress, you can just return the mattress while still in the period, provided that the mattress is not damaged, stained, dirty, or abused. Using a mattress protector can do the trick.
Also, you can exchange the mattress for another model instead of returning it. Ikea provides a 25-year warranty for every mattress. This warranty is impressive for a cheap mattress. The warranty covers defects in foam cores, latex cores, and springs. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear.
Casper Mattress vs Ikea
|- Spandex/polyester cover, good breathability||- Cotton/polyester cover, low heat dissipation|
|- 10” total thickness with four layers||- 5” total thickness, with memory foam or latex|
|- Very good contouring and pressure relief||- Memory foam version is very firm, latex version is medium firm|
|- Medium firmness||- Pretty good contouring and pressure relief|
|- 100 nights of trial period, 10-year warranty||- 365 days of return/exchange period, 25-year warranty|
In the end, between Casper Mattress vs Ikea Mattress, we recommend you to choose Casper Mattress. It has better overall qualities. The contouring and pressure relief are very good. The sleeping surface is not overly firm, ensuring the best comfort. It also has good breathability, and the cover is very nice. It will give you nights of good quality sleep.